Associate Jury Consultant (Oakland)
Associate Jury Consultant
Founded in 1989, The Focal Point is a leading national trial graphics, strategy, and technology firm with offices in Oakland, New York, Dallas, and Santa Fe.
We work with trial lawyers on complex, high stakes cases to uncover persuasive case theories and themes and turn them into winning courtroom presentations. We help our clients explore trial themes, discover critical insights, test their case with perspective jurors, and develop powerful trial graphics designed for maximum impact on decision makers.
At The Focal Point, we value individual initiative and encourage free thinking and innovation. We welcome individuals who are enthusiastic about building a meaningful career, and invite them to be part of the leading company in the field of trial consulting.
We are looking for a highly skilled self-starter to join our jury consulting team. In high-profile and high-stakes jury trials, lawyers rely on jury consultants to gain a winning edge. Jury consultants are human behavior experts who help attorneys research and select jurors and provide insight into juror behavior. Jury consultants are used in both criminal trials and complex civil litigation. The associate jury consultant will be involved in a wide variety of activities including: planning and executing mock trial research, focus group research, and community attitude surveys; evaluating juror questionnaires and participating in the jury selection process; business development; and management of client relationships. Based in our downtown Oakland office, this is a full-time, exempt position.
- Devise and construct jury research / focus group programs
- Develop participant questionnaires
- Facilitate attendees onsite and moderate focus group panels
- Quantitative and qualitative interpretation of data gathered at research sessions
- Prepare and write reports with specific findings and strategic recommendations
- Develop graphic recommendations and strategies to graphic consulting team
- Work with attorneys to communicate, integrate and implement strategic findings to create trial strategies
- Trial observation and reporting
We are looking for
- A graduate degree in the social sciences. Applicants must have: (1) a Ph.D. in the field of communication, social psychology, sociology, or a related field or (2) a Master’s degree in the social sciences and three years of relevant work experience.
- Prior experience with managing multiple projects and client expectations
- A strong background in quantitative research methods. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in research design and statistical analysis. This proficiency should include extensive graduate coursework, experience with interview techniques and facilitation of focus group discussions, design of field research studies, questionnaire construction, data management, and analysis of quantitative research data using statistical software.
- Outstanding writing skills. Writing skills are critically important. Applicants should have experience preparing research proposals and reports of research findings. Qualified applicants will be able to write clearly, concisely, and efficiently.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills. Qualified applicants must have the ability to work with several clients/trial teams at a time, managing the different expectations and communication styles of each client. Applicants must be proficient working with team members in other offices and while on the road.
- A strong desire to participate in business development. Applicants must participate in such business development activities such as meeting with prospective clients; presenting educational programs; and participating in other opportunities to promote The Focal Point. Initially, these activities will take place with more senior members of the team, but applicants will eventually be able to easily and naturally pursue such efforts on their own.
- Team orientation. TFP maintains a strong commitment to diversity and cooperation in a team-oriented culture. Applicants must be committed to a team-oriented approach and able to work effectively with other team members. The position requires tolerance for change and the ability to rapidly adapt to the uncertainties of trial schedules.
- Strong client interaction skills. Confidently communicate with clients in high-level positions (senior law partners, chief in-house counsel, and corporate managers).
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Effective listening skills
- Ability to juggle and work on multiple projects and teams
- Ability to work late nights/weekends, and travel occasionally. Associate jury consultants will be expected to travel, occasionally two to three times a month for two or three days at a time. The company is committed to employees achieving a work-life blend which addresses the demands of the job.
- Applicants must be located in the Bay Area or be willing to relocate to the Bay Area and work in TFP’s main office in Oakland
The Focal Point offers
- Excellent opportunities for career development for qualified applicants who are motivated to provide the best consulting services in the industry and support to their fellow team members
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision benefits
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Life insurance
- Long term disability
- Profit sharing
- Commuter subsidy
- A fun work environment
Please review our web site at www.thefocalpoint.com and send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. As part of The Focal Point’s comprehensive hiring process, we will be conducting a thorough background check on all eligible candidates. The Focal Point is an equal opportunity employer. EOE M/F/D/V.
Guy Grogan discuss the cures for turning a common closing summary into a powerful and persuasive argument for your case.