Business Development Manager (Oakland)
Business Development Manager
Founded in 1989, The Focal Point is a leading national trial graphics, strategy, and technology firm with offices in Oakland, New York, Dallas, and Santa Fe.
We work with trial lawyers on complex, high stakes cases to uncover persuasive case theories and themes and turn them into winning courtroom presentations. We help our clients explore trial themes, discover critical insights, test their case with perspective jurors, and develop powerful trial graphics designed for maximum impact on decision makers.
At The Focal Point, we value individual initiative and encourage free thinking and innovation. We welcome individuals who are enthusiastic about building a meaningful career, and invite them to be part of the leading company in the field of trial consulting.
Also known internally as the Senior Client Relationship Manager, we are looking for someone to build market position by recruiting, developing, negotiating, and closing new business for The Focal Point (TFP). Based in our Oakland office, this is a full-time, exempt position.
In this role, you will develop new business (75% of the job)
- Generate at least $2M in new business annually for TFP by developing new clients and expanding existing firm relationships
- Lead day-to-day sales operations by initiating and managing direct sales efforts
- Identify and meet with clients when they have an upcoming matter by confirming the parameters of their needs and connecting them with the TFP consultants who are best suited to partner with them on their cases
- Call on warm/cold prospects based on local market knowledge, networking, professional organizations, litigation research, periodicals, leads from marketing initiatives and prospect lists generated internally
- Identify and track key cases, attorneys, firms, and corporate clients for development to initiate, develop, and deepen client relationships
- Develop and coordinate opportunities for TFP to present, pitch, or submit clear and polished proposals for work
- Create a system for consistent follow-up with clients after engagements in order to deepen relationship opportunities
- Establish and maintain positive, long-term client relationships
And improve and refine TFP's BD strategy and processes (25% of the job)
- Lead BD pipeline meetings to develop strategies that translate a vision into practical and measurable tactics for developing new business
- Coach TFP employees on best practices for client relationship management and help find ways to generate referrals and new work opportunities
- Identify obstacles to business development, and develop recommendations for the wider group
- Identify and track trends by researching industry-related events and publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations
- Through a wide range of methods, promote and maintain TFP's position as a market leader by communicating TFP's vision and strategy to external audiences
We are looking for
- Previous successful sales experience within professional litigation services (minimum of 5+ years' proven experience)
- Desire to meet and exceed measurable performance goals
- Competitive nature and self-driven sense of motivation
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously with minimal guidance
- Exceptional people skills, as our clients consist of top-tier attorneys
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to develop and maintain systems for tracking progress and measuring results
- A dedicated attention to detail
- Respect for keeping information confidential to protect the organization
- Solid knowledge of and experience using MS Word, Excel and Access (or similar database) and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with various CRM systems
- Some travel as needed
- Bachelor's degree
The Focal Point offers
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision benefits
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Life insurance
- Long term disability
- Profit sharing
- Commuter subsidy
- A fun work environment
Please review our web site at www.thefocalpoint.com and send resume, cover letter, and compensation requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. As part of The Focal Point’s comprehensive hiring process, we will be conducting a thorough background check on all eligible candidates. The Focal Point is an equal opportunity employer. EOE M/F/D/V.
Guy Grogan discuss the cures for turning a common closing summary into a powerful and persuasive argument for your case.